Thursday, December 18, 2008

Guitar Thrill Thursday: Invincible - Muse

After last week's controversial guitar solo post, I thought I would take this week's Guitar Thrill in an entirely different direction. I wanted to post some excellent acoustic guitar playing by Tim Reynolds with Dave Matthews. But after 20 minutes of searching the youtube universe and getting very little in quality results, I decided to go with Muse. I will keep looking for a decent recording of a Reynolds/Matthews performance--so stay tuned!

Muse's charismatic front man Matthew Bellamy displays both guitar prowess and pianistic virtuosity. Although perhaps not more innovative than Tom Morello (whom he cites as an influence along with Prince and The Edge), his musical styling is unique and "cutting-edge." The solo from Invincible exhibits a fascinating combination of classical form, two hand tapping, and dramatic electronic effects. The solo appears near the end of the song, so I have started the video there. Feel free to re watch the entire song for a better taste of this band's excellent sound! (The performance is from their official HAARP DVD release and was recorded live at Wembley Stadium).

No comments: