Friday, December 12, 2008

Avoid Fraud

I just realized that I actually could have more interesting things to say (to some of you) than what I do. Here's one:

Yesterday I found out that I have reason to believe my SSN may have been compromised! This is bad news every way you look at it (unless Santa Clause is using it to help me get a 3 story house or something). Here are some tips for avoiding identity theft:

Check your credit report AT LEAST once a year. This can be done for free at www.annualcreditreport.com This is a legitimate site, don't worry. It's the official way of obtaining your free annual credit report. Your report becomes viewable almost immediately and is accessible for 30 days. Make sure to look for any accounts that you didn't open! These were done by identity-stealing-house-elfs.

Be extra careful with Credit / Debit cards during the holidays. There will be crowds and these people are smart. There are contraptions out there that can steal your card info when it is swiped. Don't let people get too close, no matter how good they smell.

Don't just throw away your junk mail. Sometimes these things have important personal info in them. If you have a shredder, shred them. If you don't have a shredder, ask one of the ninja turtles to take care of it instead. They are just as good as the Shredder. (Nay, better!)

Have fun this Christmas!

5 comments:

Marie said...

Oh no! what makes you think your SSN was compromised? that is scary. I wrote down a number once that you can call and you will stop getting those credit card junk mail offers. Of course I never did and can't find it!

Meg Ruth said...

Oh my dear heavens! Is everything ok?

Emily said...

I hope not! That would not be good!!

elopingcamel said...

Did you get a letter from Summit Medical or whatever too? I got one of those weird letters and I didn't know who the doctor on the paper they listed was. I didn't trust it. I shall ask thee to tell me all in a secretly privateous manner.

Frown Like A Thunderstorm said...

Ree, the phone number for opting out of pre-approved credit card offers is 1-888-5OPTOUT or 1-888-567-8688. You can also opt out online at www.optoutprescreen.com Opting out helps protect your privacy.