Friday, July 18, 2008

Desert Island Albums

If you were to apply for a position as a Blue Man Group backing musician, you would be asked to formally provide the 10 albums you would bring with you on a deserted island. (Yes, it is the coolest application of all time and space.) So, with intentions to fill out the application, I came up with this tentative list (in chronological order):

Samuel Barber - Complete Piano Music (Daniel Barenboim)
Led Zeppelin - I
Rush - A Farewell To Kings
Prince - Greatest Hits Vol 1 (does that count?)
They Might Be Giants - Flood
Toad The Wet Sprocket - Fear
Squirrel Nut Zippers - Hot
Coheed & Cambria - In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth 3
The Tragically Hip - World Container
Saves the Day - Under the Boards

This list was chosen carefully to reflect many different criterion. First, no more than 3 albums were in the same decade. Second, it includes the different styles I require (Classical, Classic Rock, Progressive Rock, Funk Rock/R&B, College Rock, Folk Rock, Jazz, Modern Rock/Metal, Country-type-Rock/Alternative, and Punkish ("Emo") Rock). Thirdly, no particular style is overly represented. Fourth, no band has more than one album on the list. And finally, these are some of my favorite albums from my favorite artists! Of course! Would any of these be included in your 10?

3 comments:

"B" said...

Flood and I are totally on my top picks....but I might have picked "exit stage left" for the rush album. Still, what you have is good.

Sister Walker

Compton said...

Yeah, I too agree on Flood, but to be honest, most of my picks would be different. I guess that's the beauty of music; to each his own.

elopingcamel said...

An excellent list sir. I have decided to do my own for your reading pleasure (and I am sad to have had to leave off so many loved albums, but alas... what can you do when terrorists come to call? Nothing, except grab your ten favorite albums and flee to a desert island):

1. Jimmy Eat World - Clarity
2. Weezer - Pinkerton
3. Damien Rice - O
4. Thrice - Vheissu
5. Brand New - The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me
6. The LOTR Soundtrack (Fellowship if I have to limit it to one)
7. Braveheart Soundtrack
8. Radiohead - OK Computer
9. Nelly Furtado - Whoa, Nelly!
10. Ben Folds Five - Whatever and Ever Amen